Here are several links to various software and other related websites for Microsoft Windows 10/8/7/Vista (and maybe XP).
With many great Free and Open Source Software for Windows listed and included in our TTCS OSSWIN DVD collection, this article will focus on useful freeware programs.
This article was last updated on September 16 2016.
For Windows 8 and 10, Windows Defender is preinstalled.
For Windows Vista and Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials – free anti-virus software from Microsoft for Vista and Windows 7.
For Windows XP, BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition – lightweight, free anti-virus software.
- CCleaner – quick and easy way to remove temporary files generated by Windows and 3rd party applications, freeing up hard drive space
- Defraggler– hard disk defragmentation utility to re-arrange files on your hard drive to speed up access.
- Speccy – system information tool for your PC
- John’s Background Switcher – periodically changes the wallpaper on your Windows desktop – you can specify to update your wallpaper from a variety of online sources (Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, etc) as well as images from your computer or network share
- ProduKey – displays the product keys of Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows – useful when you want to re-install the software and you don’t have it available.
- CutePDF Writer – Create PDF documents from any Windows application that can print
- Neutron – small and simple time synchronizing program that retrieves the accurate time from one of several time servers on the Internet and updates the Windows’ clock.
- Attribute Changer – Windows Explorer addon to easily change file and folder attributes and date/time stamps, including photo (EXIF) information.
- CDBurnerXP – burn CD and DVDs including Blu-rays
- Classic Shell – brings back the Classic Start Menu for Windows 8
Windows Internet Applications
- Google Chrome – web browser by Google noted for its speed and minimalist interface.
- MailStore Home – archive and backup/restore email from a variety of email clients and Internet mail (POP3 / IMAP / Gmail / Yahoo!)
- LibreOffice free office productivity suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations) compatible with all major office suites
- 7-Zip file archiver with high compression ratio. Supports ZIP files
- Stickies – place sticky notes on your desktop and/or send to other users’ desktops over a LAN ; can be set to disappear and reappear on your screen to acts as reminders
- Convert – easy to use unit conversion program that will convert units such as distance, mass and MANY others
- VideoLAN – multimedia player for various audio and video formats
- IrfanView – excellent image viewer / converter / manipulator
- FastStone Image Viewer – image browser, converter and editor. Free for home use.
- XMPlay – minimal, yet powerful audio player. Support skins to change its appearance
- Paint.NET – image and photo editing software with features such as layers, unlimited undo and special effects.
Other Useful Windows Sites
- Black Viper’s website – lists each possible service in Windows and offers advice on which services you can safely disable.
- MDGx MAX Speed WinDOwS Tricks and Secrets – site with detailed tips, tricks and useful information on optimizing and updating Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and even Windows 9x and DOS
- FileHippo.com – well organised collection of Windows software organised by categories to download
- TinyApps.Org – a catalog on tiny (< 1.44MB) programs for Windows
De-cluttering my room and looking at some of the software’s I’ve used in the past with a look to clear up some space.
Any memories for anyone? 🙂
The Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS) is pleased to announce the availability of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD v0.8.9 as a free download on July 1 2013.
The TTCS OSSWIN DVD is a collection of nearly 100 Free and Open Source Software for home and business (i.e. any) users using the Microsoft Windows 8/7/Vista/XP operating systems.
You can use your web browser to read detailed information about each program in this compilation : what the program does, its key features, useful related websites, view a screenshot, find links to the program’s website and to download/install the program from the TTCS OSSWIN DVD. The web-based interface allows you to quickly browse the variety of software organised into various categories.
How to download the TTCS OSSWIN DVD
Download the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 0.8.9 at Ge.tt
MD5, SHA1, SHA-256 checksum of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 0.8.9
- Date created : July 1 2013
- File name : ttcs_osswin_dvd_v0.8.9.iso
- File size : 1.78 GB (1,917,534,208 bytes)
- MD5 checksum : fcdd2119 d4321cce b1bf9264 7ab68cde / fcdd2119d4321cceb1bf92647ab68cde
- SHA-1 : d65e67fe 63acf880 bde497b4 1dd9dbe2 be4c438f / d65e67fe63acf880bde497b41dd9dbe2be4c438f
- SHA-256 : 602fe02d 6f5adcb5 d6ab8904 3beedae1 0ad94d1f 195c04d4 41a3bc0c 299ac1e2 / 602fe02d6f5adcb5d6ab89043beedae10ad94d1f195c04d441a3bc0c299ac1e2
Changes from v0.8.8 :
- removed: Pengupop
- updated: LibreOffice, Notepad++, Sumatra PDF, Tomboy, Stellarium, Enigma, Battle for Wesnoth, Portable Puzzle Collection, Sokoban YASC, GIMP, Blender, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, FileZilla, Halite, HTTrack Website Copier, Miranda IM, XAMPP, VideoLAN, PDFCreator, ClamWin Free AntiVirus, UltraVNC, KeePass, Run With Parameters
Use a program like VisualHash or WinHasher to hash your downloaded file to see if it matches the hashes here. If your downloaded file hash is different, then your downloaded file is different from the file the TTCS has published.
List of software included on the TTCS OSSWIN DVD
- Desktop Applications
- GIMP 2.8.6 bitmap editor suitable for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
- Pinta 1.4 Simple image and photo editing tool for Windows
- Blender 2.67 3D modeling, animation, rendering application
- Dia 0.97.2 A diagram creation program program similiar to “Visio”
- My Photo Index 1.24.3552 photo organiser to organise, view and share your photos
- Inkscape 0.48.4 scalable vector graphics format (SVG) drawing tool
- XAMPP 1.8.2 Bundled web server containing Apache, PHP, MySQL and Perl
- Sound and Video
This is a list of Macintosh-based software that we’ve found interesting over the years. Not all the software listed is free, and this is not an exhaustive list. If you don’t see your favourite program here, email us, and let us know!
Note: All links listed here are for Intel-based Macs.
- LibreOffice for MacOS X fork of OpenOffice.org using Java and Carbon instead of X11 for better integration with the Mac OS X environment.
- Abiword simple to use cross-platform word processor.
- Smultron open-source text editor has features such as syntax highlighting.
Web Browsers (other than Safari)
- Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier.
- Mozilla Firefox free web browser with features such as including tabbed browsing, pop-up blocker, privacy/security controls, integrated search, and more.
- Opera Browser free alternative web browser
Email client software
- Thunderbird free email client with features such as POP3/IMAP support, intelligent spam filters, a built-in spell checker, RSS feeds, saved search folders and more.
Utilities and functionality extenders
- Main Menu Pro gives access to hidden Mac OS X settings and let you easily optimize your system. (US$19.99)
- Perian extends QuickTime support for many popular types of media
- Flip4Mac allows you to view/listen to Windows Media files on OS X
- Carbon Copy Cloner creates bootable clones of your current OS drive, making for quick recovery in times of disaster (Donate-ware).
- SheepShaver probably the only way we know of to run the OS 8/9 environment on an Intel Mac for those with software that just hasn’t been ported to OS X yet. Takes a bit of fiddling (not a simple setup), but actually works.
- Roxio Toast one of the best ways to create your own audio CDs (allows cross fading between tracks), crunching your (personal video content) 8GB DVDs to fit the 4GB DVD spec. (US$80)
Educational / Lifestyle
- Kindle App allows you to read your Kindle purchases on your Mac
- Comic Life engage your children’s (or your) storytelling skills, with this app that helps you create your own comic book from your own images. Quite addictive.
- Pixelmator is an image editor which is not quite a Photoshop killer, but is more cost effective, and also allows you a 30 day free trial. (US$14.95, via AppStore application).
According to the latest Adobe Security Bulletin dated April 9 2013, Adobe has released an updated version of its Adobe Flash Player on various platforms, specifically:
- Adobe Flash Player 11.6.602.180 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Flash Player 22.214.171.1245 and earlier versions for Linux
The vulnerabilities in versions of Adobe Flash before April 9 2013 could allow for execution of unwanted code (typically malware), without your consent just by visiting a website with malicious Flash applications or video (SWF). Therefore, you should update your Adobe Flash Player to the latest version to close this loophole.
To determine what version of the Adobe Flash player you have on your system, visit http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
To download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, visit
Windows users should note that the Flash Player in their Microsoft Internet Explorer browser and the one in web browsers like Opera, Mozilla Firefox and Safari are separate installs. You should install and update both versions of Adobe Flash.
Google Chrome browser users has Adobe Flash Player built-in and users should update the Google Chrome browser to the latest version. See http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95414 on how to do so.