Here are several links to various software and other related websites for Microsoft Windows 10/8/7/Vista (and maybe XP).
With many great Free and Open Source Software for Windows listed and included in our TTCS OSSWIN DVD collection, this article will focus on useful freeware programs.
This article was last updated on September 16 2016.
For Windows 8 and 10, Windows Defender is preinstalled.
For Windows Vista and Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials – free anti-virus software from Microsoft for Vista and Windows 7.
For Windows XP, BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition – lightweight, free anti-virus software.
- CCleaner – quick and easy way to remove temporary files generated by Windows and 3rd party applications, freeing up hard drive space
- Defraggler– hard disk defragmentation utility to re-arrange files on your hard drive to speed up access.
- Speccy – system information tool for your PC
- John’s Background Switcher – periodically changes the wallpaper on your Windows desktop – you can specify to update your wallpaper from a variety of online sources (Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, etc) as well as images from your computer or network share
- ProduKey – displays the product keys of Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows – useful when you want to re-install the software and you don’t have it available.
- CutePDF Writer – Create PDF documents from any Windows application that can print
- Neutron – small and simple time synchronizing program that retrieves the accurate time from one of several time servers on the Internet and updates the Windows’ clock.
- Attribute Changer – Windows Explorer addon to easily change file and folder attributes and date/time stamps, including photo (EXIF) information.
- CDBurnerXP – burn CD and DVDs including Blu-rays
- Classic Shell – brings back the Classic Start Menu for Windows 8
Windows Internet Applications
- Google Chrome – web browser by Google noted for its speed and minimalist interface.
- MailStore Home – archive and backup/restore email from a variety of email clients and Internet mail (POP3 / IMAP / Gmail / Yahoo!)
- LibreOffice free office productivity suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations) compatible with all major office suites
- 7-Zip file archiver with high compression ratio. Supports ZIP files
- Stickies – place sticky notes on your desktop and/or send to other users’ desktops over a LAN ; can be set to disappear and reappear on your screen to acts as reminders
- Convert – easy to use unit conversion program that will convert units such as distance, mass and MANY others
- VideoLAN – multimedia player for various audio and video formats
- IrfanView – excellent image viewer / converter / manipulator
- FastStone Image Viewer – image browser, converter and editor. Free for home use.
- XMPlay – minimal, yet powerful audio player. Support skins to change its appearance
- Paint.NET – image and photo editing software with features such as layers, unlimited undo and special effects.
Other Useful Windows Sites
- Black Viper’s website – lists each possible service in Windows and offers advice on which services you can safely disable.
- MDGx MAX Speed WinDOwS Tricks and Secrets – site with detailed tips, tricks and useful information on optimizing and updating Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and even Windows 9x and DOS
- FileHippo.com – well organised collection of Windows software organised by categories to download
- TinyApps.Org – a catalog on tiny (< 1.44MB) programs for Windows
This is a list of Macintosh-based software that we’ve found interesting over the years. Not all the software listed is free, and this is not an exhaustive list. If you don’t see your favourite program here, email us, and let us know!
Note: All links listed here are for Intel-based Macs.
- LibreOffice for MacOS X fork of OpenOffice.org using Java and Carbon instead of X11 for better integration with the Mac OS X environment.
- Abiword simple to use cross-platform word processor.
- Smultron open-source text editor has features such as syntax highlighting.
Web Browsers (other than Safari)
- Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier.
- Mozilla Firefox free web browser with features such as including tabbed browsing, pop-up blocker, privacy/security controls, integrated search, and more.
- Opera Browser free alternative web browser
Email client software
- Thunderbird free email client with features such as POP3/IMAP support, intelligent spam filters, a built-in spell checker, RSS feeds, saved search folders and more.
Utilities and functionality extenders
- Main Menu Pro gives access to hidden Mac OS X settings and let you easily optimize your system. (US$19.99)
- Perian extends QuickTime support for many popular types of media
- Flip4Mac allows you to view/listen to Windows Media files on OS X
- Carbon Copy Cloner creates bootable clones of your current OS drive, making for quick recovery in times of disaster (Donate-ware).
- SheepShaver probably the only way we know of to run the OS 8/9 environment on an Intel Mac for those with software that just hasn’t been ported to OS X yet. Takes a bit of fiddling (not a simple setup), but actually works.
- Roxio Toast one of the best ways to create your own audio CDs (allows cross fading between tracks), crunching your (personal video content) 8GB DVDs to fit the 4GB DVD spec. (US$80)
Educational / Lifestyle
- Kindle App allows you to read your Kindle purchases on your Mac
- Comic Life engage your children’s (or your) storytelling skills, with this app that helps you create your own comic book from your own images. Quite addictive.
- Pixelmator is an image editor which is not quite a Photoshop killer, but is more cost effective, and also allows you a 30 day free trial. (US$14.95, via AppStore application).
The Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS ; http://ttcsweb.org/) announces the availability of the TTCS FSWIN CD (http://ttcsweb.org/fswin-cd), a collection of Free Software for Windows, for download.
Free Software is software that meets the Free Software Foundation’s (FSF) definition :
The impetus for the TTCS FSWIN CD came from a request from someone from Free Software Foundation Europe (FSF Europe) (http://www.fsfe.org/) currently co-organising Software Freedom Day 2010 (SFD ; http://softwarefreedomday.org/) and was looking for a Free Software for windows CD for SFD teams to use and distribute to the public.
While the TTCS has a TTCS OSSWIN CD, a collection of Free and Open Source Software for Windows
(http://www.ttcsweb.org/osswin-cd/) ; not all open source software meets the Free Software definition.
A list of software licenses that meets the FSF’s definition of Free Software and those that do not can be found at
Hence the creation of the TTCS FSWIN CD since nearly all of the software on the TTCS OSSWIN CD matched the FSF’s definition of Free Software.
What was done :
- All of the licenses for all 92 programs on the TTCS OSSWIN CD were examined. A short list of programs that didn’t meet the FSF definition of Free Software was determined.
- For those programs, Free Software equivalents were located, documented and added to the TTCS FSWIN CD webpages.
- All of the program descriptions for the TTCS OSSWIN CD was updated to mention Free Software instead of just Open Source and used to provide the web based documentation for the TTCS FSWIN CD.
- Webpages and program were assembled together to finalise an ISO of the TTCS FSWIN CD.
Short sentences on what was done, but *lots* of hours involved 🙂
The result is the TTCS FSWIN CD – Free Software for Windows is available for download thanks to a mirror provided by the FSF Europe.
Details about the TTCS FSWIN CD, including the download mirror can be found at http://www.ttcsweb.org/fswin-cd/ .
The TTCS will continue to maintain the TTCS OSSWIN CD, in addition to the TTCS FSWIN CD. With our experience of developing multiple versions of CDs, we are looking to develop a TTCS OSSWIN DVD and a TTCS OSSMAC
CD and/or DVD in the near future.
Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society at http://ttcsweb.org/ ;
http://fb.me/ttcsweb ; http://twitter.com/ttcs
“networking local computer users!”
The TTCS OSSWIN CD v1.99c (a CD of open source software for Windows) is available for download.
TTCS OSSWIN CD v1.99c Changelog :
- Date created : July 27th, 2009
- File name : ttcs_osswin_cd_v1.99c.iso
- File size : 698 MB (732,170,240 bytes)
- MD5 checksum : c323fc85d82ef26612942664d9b9ed4b / c323fc85 d82ef266 12942664 d9b9ed4b
- SHA-1 : c3c81687 f2b146da abe64ed7 1718c590 941e04fe
- SHA-256 : 84f04bf9 fcf2ba08 ee03ca45 bfff454f 22f78541 06bec39f 09795497 b6cc7c53
Changes from v1.99a
- removed : Neverball, Enigma
- updated : Notepad2, Sumatra PDF, WinMerge, TuxPaint, Tux Typing 2, Celestia, Childsplay, Portable Puzzle Collection, Sokoban YASC, Blender, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Filezilla, Halite, HTTrack Website Copier, Miranda IM, VideoLAN, ClamWin AntiVirus, UltraVNC, Truecrypt, KeePass
Two more games removed to cater for the increased file sizes of Celestia and the TuxPaint stamp collection. Goodness, and Software Freedom Day
2009 is just around the corner, if a v2.0 is to appear before then.
The TTCS OSSWIN CD v1.99a (a CD of open source software for Windows) is available for download.
- Date created : May 17th, 2009
- File name : ttcs_osswin_cd_v1.99a.iso
- File size : 695 MB (728,850,432 bytes)
- MD5 checksum : 35d478553621b9691e1235b0bfb04eb9 / 35d47855 3621b969 1e1235b0 bfb04eb9
- SHA-1 : 1a5b2452 b646f16d 1561e45b c3b77812 5406ee50
- SHA-256 : 3733e730 138a5c61 b1a72972 aadf2d91 fd87436e 3dc59b1e abf40256 c9d85d86
Changes from v1.98b
- removed : SuperTux, CrackAttack, tsWebeditor
- updated : OpenOffice.org, Treeline, Maxima, Portable Puzzle Collection, Sokoban YASC, Dia, Mozilla Firefox, Filezilla, Miranda IM, XAMPP Lite, Hmailserver, PDFCreator, ClamWin AntiVirus, UltraVNC, Truecrypt, AutoHotkey
What happened to v1.99? It was released, but before the changelog and website was updated, it was discovered that some of the webpages were not included. So if you managed to download v1.99, my apologies.
Three more programs were removed to cater for the increased size of OpenOffice.org v3.1.0. A reminder to work on the webpage interface before 2.00 is released.