ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers is a private sector, non-profit corporation with technical management responsibilities for the Internet’s domain name and address system. It consists on a number of groups representing various interests.
See http://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/assets/ecosystem-2500×1622-21mar13-en.png for an illustrated overview.
A Latin American and Caribbean Steering Committee (LAC Steering Committee) comprised of regional stakeholders in various ICANN groups (https://community.icann.org/x/g4REAg) was created after the ICANN Toronto meeting (http://blog.icann.org/2012/10/latin-america-and-the-caribbean-a-regional-strategy/) to discuss a possible ICANN strategy for the LAC region.
The Draft LAC Regional Strategic Plan identifies
- a vision for the LAC Regional Strategic Plan (“What are we looking for as a region”)
- 4 Key Areas of Interest (KAI) : Political Issues, Capacity Building and Outreach, Operations and Economic Issues
- Strategic Objectives under each KAI. There are
– 5 Strategic Objectives under “Political Issues”,
– 9 Strategic Objectives under “Capacity Building and Outreach”,
– 4 Strategic Objectives under “Operations”,
– 6 Strategic Objectives under “Economic Issues”
- some possible indicators to measure progress (or lack thereof) of projects undertaken to support the Strategic Plan.
- how these LAC Regional Strategic Objectives align with ICANN’s Strategic Plan 2012-2015
Your comments are welcomed. The LAC Steering Committee will be meeting during the ICANN meeting in Beijing from April 6-11 2013 and collecting such comments for further work on the LAC Strategic Plan. Comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dev Anand Teelucksingh
LAC Steering Committee member,
ALAC (At-Large Advisory Committee) member